The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Letter from Uriah W. Oblinger to Mattie V. Thomas, November 12, 1865

(....signifies missing text.)

November 12th A.D. 1865
Morristown Minn

Dear Mattie

I am compelled to use the pen once more in addressing you, but I hope the next time will be by the word of mouth.
Since I last wrote you I have been out on the western frontier of the U.S. and a wild beatiful looking landscape it is and but sparsely settled and then only by half civilized people.
last monday night while on the frontier I stayed all night with a frenchman who had a squaw for a wife there were about 15 men stayed there beside myself and in the assembly there were Norwegians Irish Scoth Indians halfbreeds and french and there was card playing and swearing going on at a round rate but no liquor for the very good reason there could be none obtained nearer than 4 miles and all were two lazy to go after it and I tell you I heartily wished myself away from the place but there was no decent house to stay at nearer than ten miles and consequently I was elected to stay all night and sleep on the floor with one blanket and my great coat for covering and next morning paid my host 80 cts for staying and I tell you I bid farewell to the place as soon as I swallowed my breakfast.
and you my naturaly guess I did not want land in such a community and after looking at the country next day I started to return and am this far on my way and will probably remain here a few days and then trudge homeward and no preventing providence I will spend two weeks from this date with Mattie and then I will tell the whole history of my travels more satisfactory than pen can describe.
I am staying today with a Methodist & last sabbath with a disbeliever I not traveld on sabbath since I left home nor will not unless compelled.
Mattie I was far away when the quarterly meeting was in progress but my affections were there I should like to have been with you but it ....wall....was willed other wise but I prayed for the success of our cause and that it might cease till the world of mankind were brought to see the truth and be saved.
and if we never meet in this world let us try to live here that we may, on lovelier grounds with all the redeemed of earth and there without the .....absce..... absense of one loved face sing .....pray....praises to the Havenly Ruler and enjoy celestial bliss throughout Eternity.
Excuse my bad writing for my ink so poor it will hardly write at all I am enjoying perfect health and we are having beautiful weather, and hope these may find you ....eng....enjoying the same blessings
No mor but remain in spite of everything to the contrary your devoted love

Uriah

Transcription of envelope
Miss Mattie V Thomas
Onward, Cass Co Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.