The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Something I Would Like to Read

Sister Mary Clara was the daughter of my great great great grandfather, Thomas Worland. She wrote the vital record dates of her family in a book called "Life of the Saints". It was found at the Convent of Oldenburg in Kentucky were she lived her life as a nun.

2 comments:

  1. Verlinda and Thomas Worland are my 5th times great grand parents. I live in Indiana and had a great aunt named Verlinda. I know there is a Convent in Oldenburg, Indiana, very close to Shelbyville, and just down the road from St. Vincent's church. I wonder if Sister Mary CLara's convent was in Indiana and not Kentucky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just spoke with a sister at the Oldenburg Convent in Indiana and she confirmed that their convent began in 1851 in the Shelbyville, St. Vincent Catholic Church and later moved down the road to Oldenburg, Indiana.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.