The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Charles Worland Question

I received a question from Rob Worland of England, this contains excerpts from two emails:


Hi Deci, ... AS far as this side of the pond goes it's my dad who is the geneologist in the family, ... I can tell you that he has traced the name Worland back at least as far as when Charles Worland founded his city. The name appears, although not all that common as you will probably guess, around that time in the Cambridgeshire area which is where I would be descended from. However I do quite like my Grandmothers theory (who is now deceased) that we were related somehow to and old Scicilian mafia family, to which one of them managed to escape gangster lifestyle and move to England! Somehow though I think that maybe a little far fetched... It would be interesting to know where Charles Worland came from in England.
I've probably got the christian name mixed up, but all i know is that there is a place in Wyoming called Worland, founded by a guy who i thought was called Charles Worland. My geography of the U.S is pretty bad but i don't think that is anywhere near Maryland. Anyhow, I figure that Maryland is on the east coast so it might make sense that we maybe on about the same person as the pioneers could have only gone west (my history aint too hot either)!

My reply:

Worland, Wyoming, was founded as a pioneer camp in 1903 by Charles Henry (Dad) Worland, son of William Theoplis Worland and Cornelia Ann Logan. Charles was from Missouri, he was descended from John, who was from England.
It is presumed that all Worlands in the United States are descendants of John Worland who came over to Maryland colony in 1662. I would like to trace him back into England also, but no luck yet. Charles Henry is not in my direct line. Was he related to your father?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.