The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Thursday, June 11, 2009

May 7, 1880

My great-great-great-grandfather, George Gideon dies at age 92 in Clinton, Dewitt, Illinois. He is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Clinton.
George Gideon was born in Maryland in 1788 and married Elizabeth Miller of Virginia in 1812. During the War of 1812 he served in Leslie's Co., the Virginia Militia. Their three children were with them when they pioneered into Champaign county, Ohio in 1817. The Gideon family came to Clinton in the spring of 1847 when Clinton consisted of only a dozen or so houses. The trip from Ohio to Illinois was made overland in eight large prairie schooners. George Gideon conducted a hotel in Clinton and laid out the Gideon addition to Clinton. He died at the age of 92 years in 1880. His wife died at the age of 72 years in 1864. They raised a family of ten children: George William, Sarah, Catherine, Armstead M., Peter Miller, Ann, John Wesley, Samuel Hitt, Jacob Boucher and Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.