The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Last Will and Testament of Peter Gideon

In the name of God, Amen. I Peter Gideon of the County of Loudoun and State of Virginia being of sound mind and disposing memory and having now nearly reached my eighty-fifth year and being aware of the uncertainty of life do make the following my last will and testament, that is to say: I give to my wife Catherine one third of my farm , or the profits of my farm during her life; I also give to my said wife one half of my household and kitchen furniture to be chosen by her at the appraisement price. I also give her two cows and five hogs to be chosen by her.
At the death of my wife, I desire my Executors hereinafter named to sell my farm at public sale to the highest and I should be glad if my son William would purchase it if he thinks himself able to become the purchaser.
I give to Mahlon Morris, my son-in-law the sum of four-hundred dollars which is to be deducted the sum of eighty dollars which he owes me.
I also give my daughter Elizabeth Gore four hundred dollars from which is to be deducted the some of ninety four which her husband Mark Gore owes me. I also give to each of my daughters, Mary Evans and Sarah Blue four hundred dollars. I desire my Executors to put the money I design for Elizabeth Gore at interest during the life of her husband, and at his death be paid to his widow, if living, or to her heirs, the interest to be paid annually.
I give Mark Gore five dollars after the payment and just debts and funeral expenses. I desire the proceeds of the sales of my personal and real estate to be equally divided between my sons William, George and Henry. I charge my son George with the sum of four hundred and eighty dollars, and as George owes William one hundred and fifty dollars I wish George to be charged with his latter sum making together six hundred and thirty dollars which debt I require William to reburse, as I hereby give to him William the sum of six hundred and thirty before any division is made between my three sons.
I have advanced to Henry and I wish him to be charged with the sum of six hundred and twenty dollars but upon all the advances which I have made to my children I desire no interest to be charged nor upon the debts due to me by Mahlon Morris and Mark Gore,which I regard as advances to them, do I wish any interest to be charged.
I wish it to to be distinctly understood that my son William is to be allowed interest from the date of this my last will and testament upon the aforesaid sum of seven hundred and thirty dollars as he has received nothing in possession as yet from me.
I give to James Blackburn the sum of fifty dollars out of my personal estate to be paid to him (when) he arrives at twenty one years of age, I wish my Executor to have him bound out to a trade.
I wish my coloured girl Rosannah to be free at the death of my wife if she outlives me to have a bed, the one she occupies. I appoint my son William and Mahlon Morris my Executors--witness my hand this 30 Nov 1835.

his Peter X Gideon mark

Jas. McIlhany
Wm. Clendening
Edward Follin
Witnesses

At the Court held for Loudoun County March 11 1844. This writing purportingto be the last will and testament of Peter Gideon dec'd and was thisday presented to the Court and being proved by the oaths of Jas. McIlhaneyand Wm. Clendening two of the subscribing with pen thereto and orderedto be recorded. And on the motion of Mahlon Morris one of the Executors,therein and who made oath as such and together with James McIlhaneyand Wm. Clendening his securities entered into and acknowledged a bondin penalty of seven thousand dollars, conditions as the law directs-certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.

Will Book 2 B's Folio 6Test; Chas. Eskridge, ClkA Copy Test: E.O. Russell, C.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.