The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Friday, June 19, 2009

1854 Indiana

November 25, 1854- My great-great-great grandfather, Joseph Pike Newton, dies in Shelby, Indiana at age 75.

The Will of Joseph Pike Newton:

Be it remembered that on the first day of December in the year 1854 an instrument of writing perporting to be the last will and testament of Joseph P. Newton was filed in the Office of the Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas of Shelby County for probate and record, which said will reads in the words and following towit.
In the oft said Amen, I Joseph P Newton of the County of Shelby and State of Indiana being of sound mind and memory and considering the uncertainty of this frail and transitory life do therefore make or claim publish and declare this to be my last will and testament that is to say. First after all my lawful debts are paid and discharged the residue of my Estate real and personal I give and bequeath to my beloved wife during the term of her natural life and after her death to be divide equally among my three youngest children. John Henry, Sarah Elizabeth and Constantine.
Likewise I make consitute and appoint my beloved wife to be executor after my last will and testament hereby revoking all former will by me made. In Witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name and affixed my seal this third day of November the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and fifty four. /s/ Joseph P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.