The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Friday, June 19, 2009

1850 Indiana

July 13, 1850- My great-great-great grandfather, Thomas Worland, dies in Shelby County, Indiana, at the age of 76.

The Will of Thomas Worland:

In the name of the adorable Trinity Father Son and Holy Ghost.
I Thomas Worland of Shelby County and State of Indiana, being weak and frail of body but of sound and disposing mind, knowing the certainty of death and the uncertainty of the time, thereof do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following:
I resign my soul to Almighty God who gave it, and my body to the earth to be decently buried.
I give, devise and bequeath to my beloved wife Verlinda Worland, during her natural life, all my estate, real personal and mixed for the discharge of my just debts and the support of herself and three children at home, namely Mary Ann Worland, Ellen Worland, and Eulilia Worland -And whereas I have given to my children as they married off or left home (in the following order) as portions of what they would be entitled to out of my estate on a final distribution thereof:
To John M. Worland the sum of two hundred and ninety-two dollars.
To Leo H. Worland the sum of one hundred and ninety-seven dollars.
To Thomas L. Worland the sum of twelve dollars.
To Stephen D. Worland the sum of thirty-two dollars.
To Robert A. Worland the sum of thirty-five dollars.
To Sebastian Worland the sum of sixty dollars.
To William Worland the sum of forty dollars.
To Rachel Worland now Rachel Wheeler, the sum of fifty dollars.
To Teresa Worland and now Teresa Newton the sum of thirty dollars.
Now as my estate will not be sufficient to give to each of my children a sum equal to what John M. Worland or Leo H. Worland hath received I have devised and delivered to John M. Worland one book, the title of which is "The Whole Duty of a Christian and Guide to Perfection", of the value of one dollar and fifty cent. -
I have devised and delivered to Leo H. Worland on book the title of which is "The Instruction of Youth in Christian Piety", of the value of one dollar and fifty cents.-
My will is that after the death of my wife Virlinda Worland, my property of description shall be sold (and if the amount of sales together with the sums heretofore paid by me to my children, namely John M. Worland, Leo H. Worland, Thomas L. Worland, Stephen D. Worland, Robert A. Worland, Sebastian Worland, William Worland, Rachel Wheeler, and Teresa Newton shall not amount to more than twenty-three hundred and sixty-five dollars, after paying all my just debts and funeral expenses of myself and wife Virlinda Worland) and equally divided among Thomas Worland, Stephen D. Worland, Robert A. Worland, Sebastian Worland, William Worland, Rachel Worland now Rachel Wheeler, Mary Ann Worland, Teresa Worland now Teresa Newton, Ellen Worland, Eulalia Worland, share and share alike taking in the amount that each one has received in my life time and before the final distribution of my estate, after setting apart the sum of five hundred dollars to be put at interest by my executors hereinafter named, for the support of Eulilia during her natured life, together with her equal portion of my estate, and the interest collected annually and paid to the person who may have care of her, and after her death the aforesaid sum of five hundred dollars to be equally divided among Thomas L. Worland, Stephen D. Worland, Robert A. Worland, Sebastian Worland, William Worland, Rachel Worland now Rachel Wheeler, Mary Ann Worland, Teresa Worland now Teresa Newton, Ellen Worland and their heirs share and share alike.
My will and desire is that one of my daughters, namely Rachel Wheeler, Teresa Newton, Mary Ann Worland of Ellen Worland shall take care of Eulilia Worland, for which they shall receive the interest on the aforesaid amount, and after the death of the said Eulalia Worland, they shall be entitled to whatever remains of the said Eulalia Worland's portion of my estate for their care and attention to her during her natural life.
My desire is that Sebastian Worland shall have the privilege of purchasing the ten acres of land on which he formerly lived at the time my property shall be sold, beginning at the north east corner of the land sold by W. Worland to Parkerson running west forty-three poles, thence north so far as to include the ten acres for the same price that the other land sells for, provided it does not injure the sale of the balance of the farm.
If the notes which I hold on Stephen D. Worland for the payment of money shall remain unpaid after the death of my wife Virlinder Worland, my will is that he shall not be charged with interest on them.
Lastly, I constitute and appoint Leo H. Worland and Robert A. Worland executors of this, my last will and testament.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 31st day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred fifty.

Thomas Worland

Signed & sealed in presence of Joseph W. Laws, Patrick Eagan, Thomas Ig. Worland.
Filed and recorded August 5th A.D. 1850.
Clerk's fee $1.50 paid in full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.