The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Monday, November 18, 2013

August 1742, Virginia

English: Crow's Nest Natural Area Preserve fro...
English: Crow's Nest Natural Area Preserve from across the Potomac River in Stafford County, VA (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
August 17, 1742- William Brent dies at the age of 32 in Acquia, Richland, Stafford, Virginia.
William was the son of William Brent and Sarah Gibbons, who later married Alexander Scott of Dipple.
Born in England, he was brought to Virginia in 1717 by his mother.
William was heir to his father's estates in Virginia and England.
William's death notice, quoted by C.H. Brent from "Overwharton Parish Register" of Stafford Co, VA, lists his residence as "Aquia", while records of the birth of his children list his residence as "Richland".
The 1742 Quit Rent Rolls charged William Brent's executors for 7,452 acres.

STAFFORD COUNTY VA WILL BOOK M; 1729-1748; THE ANTIENT PRESS p. 344
In Name of God Amen I WILLIAM BRENT of Stafford County being Sick but of sound memory doe make this my Last Will and Testament .. First. I bequeath my Soul to God .. I bequeath my body to the Earth .. Imprimis I will that all my Just debts be truly and justly paid.
Item I give to my son and heir WILLIAM BRENT and heirs all my Lands that descends to me inTail by my grandfather's will.
Item I give to my son GILES BRENT and his heirs all my Real and Personal Estate.
Item My will is that my Executors hereafter mentioned doe Petition the Assembly of Maryland, to Dock the Intail of my Land called Kent fort manner in Maryland, for the advancement of Giles Brent my younger son and his heirs forever. I having involved my Estate with Law Suits in Recovering the said Kent fort manner, and other intailed lands in Virginia that am not able to Provide for my said Son otherwise.
Item I doe hereby constitute and appoint my Trusty and well beloved Friends Coll. HENRY FITZHUGH and Major PETER HEDGMAN to be Execes. of this my Last Will and Testament and I do hereby revoke all former wills. In Testimony whereof set hand this 17th day of August 1742. W. Brent
Presence Geo. Brent, Benja. Brent, Charles Harding, Wm. Knight
At a Court held for Stafford County November 9th 1742 Last Will presented by Peter Hedgman Gent. .. made oath .. further proved .. admitted to record .. Certificate granted for obtaining Probate ..

(William Brent is my third cousin  6 times removed. Our common ancestors are Richard Brent & Elizabeth Reed.)

Coal was discovered in present-day West Virginia in 1742.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.