The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ancestor Approved


Thanks to Marian Burk Wood of Climbing My Family Tree, who bestowed the Ancestor Approved Award upon me, I'm going to list the 10 things I learned about my family that surprised, intrigued, enlightened, and humbled me. Look for my list of 10 Ancestor Approved blogs at the end of this post!
  1. I learned that many of my ancestors fought in the American Revolution, and those unable to serve provided patriotic service and support. This led to my application to the Daughters of the American Revolution, and my new association with that fine organization.
  2. I learned that my eighth great grandfather Thones Kunders helped draft the first petition against slavery on American soil.
  3. I learned how a small group of German immigrants were willing to brave a harsh winter, living in caves along the Delaware River, all for religious freedom.
  4. I learned that Aethelred the Unready, King of England, is my 28th great-grandfather.
  5. I learned about Pastorius, the great German mystic, so important to the Quakers and the development of American spirituality.
  6. I have learned of new Worland relatives across the nation, all curious and willing to share.
  7. I was very proud to learn of my relationship to the great William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania.
  8. I grew up as an orphan, and I have learned of my proud ancestry.
  9. I learned about my relationship to Samuel Cunard, founder of the shipping line.
  10. I learned about the hardy, inspiring colonial colony of St. Mary's Colony, Maryland. I am very happy to know that many of them are my ancestors.
And now, for the 10 bloggers I think deserve the Ancestor Approved Award (originated by "Ancestors Live Here" by Leslie Ann Ballou).
  1. Cheryl at Ancestor Hunting
  2. Canada Genealogy, or "Jane's Your Aunt."
  3. Bill at Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories
  4. Genegirl's Experiences with Genealogy
  5. Carson at My Genealogy Journey
  6. Diana at Random Relatives
  7. John at Transylvanian Dutch
  8. Bill at West in New England
  9. Tina at Gen Wish List
  10. Lisa at 100 Years in America

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Deci! Thanks for passing this award on to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, very much, for naming me. We may well have had very early ancestors in Maryland who knew each other. Small world, huh?

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Bill ;-)

    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
    http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for passing this award to me, and thank you for even thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.