The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Saturday, November 9, 2013

May 1742, Pennsylvania

Library Company of Philadelphia
Library Company of Philadelphia (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
May 17, 1742- Henry Cunnard is born to Dennis Cunnard & Lydia Potts in Norristown, Pennsylvania.

(Henry Cunnard is my second cousin 7 times removed. Our common ancestors are Thones Kunders & Elin Magadelen Tyson and Thomas Potts & Elizabeth Basset.)

In 1727, a literary society was formed in Philadelphia by Benjamin Franklin and eleven associates. This was the famous "Junto," and from it originated the Library Company of Philadelphia, the first library of a public nature in America. The instrument of association was dated July 1, 1731, and the charter granted by the proprietary May 3, 1742.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.