The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Monday, July 26, 2010

December 1724, Connecticut

December 8, 1724- John Blake dies at the age of 41 in Middletown, Middlesex, Connecticut.
John Blake was born in 1683 at Middletown. He was a farmer. In 1705, he married Elizabeth Johnson. The marriage produced six children
The inventory of John Blake's property was taken January 19, 1725, by Jonathan Blake, Stephen Blake and William Whittmore. The administration was granted to his widow Elizabeth on Feb 2, 1725.
On January 8, 1729, Joseph Blake, John and Elizabeth's 16 year-old son, chose Captain Daniel Hall to be his guardian.On May 4, 1736, following the death of Elizabeth, their minor son, Freelove Blake, 17 years of age, chose his uncle Stephen Blake of Middletown to be his guardian.

The will of Elizabeth Johnson Blake was taken March 23, 1736, by Daniel Hall and Stephen Blake.  The Will was dated February 4, 1736. It is quite touching to read:

I, Elizabeth Blake, widow relict of John Blake the 2nd, late of Middletown, do make my last will and testament as follows: What right I have in lands in Woodstock shall be equally divided among my foure sons, viz., Richard, John, Joseph and Freelove. And that my moveable estate shall be equally divided among my fower sons, except one pair of steers 3 years old next spring, which steers I give to my son Freelove besides his equal quarter-part of all my estate whatsoever. I also give unto my son Freelove that gun which I bought with my own money. The reason why I give the above particulars to my son Freelove is because he hath taken care of me and my creatures and wrought for a great part of them. It is my will that what right I have in lands descending to me in right of my father shall be equally divided amongst my four sons. I give to Mary Bevin, who liveth with me, one cow. I appoint my son Richard sole executor.


Witness: Elizabeth Kent, Esther Blake, Joseph Rockwell.
Elizabeth X Blake, ls.

December 16, 1724- Mercy Blake dies at the age of 51 in Middletown, Middlesex, Connecticut. Mercy was born at Middletown in 1673. She married Samuel Roberts in 1691. One day after the death of Mercy Blake Roberts, on December 17, 1724, her son Samuel Roberts died at the age of 32 in Middletown. Once again, I wonder if these deaths can be attributed to the smallpox epidemic that was raging in the area at the time.


(John Blake is my seventh great granduncle. Mercy Blake is John's sister, therefore my seventh great grandaunt. Jonathan and Stephen Blake are their brothers. Our common ancestor is Sarah Hall.)

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.