The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

March 1723, Maryland

View of the Patuxent River in Prince George's County, Maryland

March 7, 1723- George Hardy is born to George Hardy & Elizabeth Drane in King George's Parish, Prince George's County, Maryland.

March 27, 1723- My sixth great grandfather, Anthony Drane dies at the age of 67 in Prince George's County, Maryland. Anthony was born in 1656 on a part of the Wilderness Plantation which is now Brightwood in Washington, D.C. He married Elizabeth Mockbee Nicholls in 1690 and had five children. He served as one of the Rangers, who were "continually on guard in the exposed part of the Country." He settled in Prince George's County prior to 1700, buying a property known as "Greenfield."

Anthony's will was dated March 28, 1719 , proved March 27, 1723 , and probated June 26, 1723.
He bequeathed to two sons, Thomas & Anthony, "the plantation & a piece of land I hold, during the life of Mary Drane Nichols , the wife of William Nichols, equally between them if they or either of them live so long, otherwise remainder to son James ; and bequeathed to his son James all the plantation & tract of land I now live on , after my wife's decease, to him & his heirs forever. All the rest of my estate I give & bequeath unto my loving wife, Elizabeth Mockbee Nichols Drane. To son James & heirs, dwelling plantation after decease of my wife Elizabeth. Personal estate to be divided among the children."
Maryland Calendar of Wills-Vol. V. p. 152. Upper Marlboro, Prince Georges County, Maryland Court House Record of Wills, p. 152.

(George Hardy is my first cousin 6 times removed. Our common ancestors are William Hardy & Elizabeth Hayden and Anthony Drane & Elizabeth Mockbee Nicholls. Anthony Drane is George's grandfather.
Anthony Drane is my sixth great grandfather. )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.