The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Friday, September 18, 2009

Irrelevent Conard Trivia

Dingee & Conard Company.



Our New Guide to Rose Culture 1901. West Grove, Pa.: Dingee & Conard Co., 1901.
The Dingee & Conard Company began nursery operations in West Grove, Pennsylvania in 1868 and began its mail order business in 1874. It later became the Conard-Pyle Company, a mail-order nursery and seed business specializing in roses. It became known for its trademarked "Star Roses," which includes the famous Peace Rose. The Company, which is still in business, donated its archives to the University of Delaware Library.
 
(The 1880 census for London Grove, Chester County, Pennsylvania, shows that an Alfred F. Conard was working as a rose grower. Alfred was actually Alfred Fellenburg Conard, son of Thomas Pennington Conard and Rebecca Miller Shoemaker. I don't know if he is the founder or what, but I really like the picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.