The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Friday, September 25, 2009

1761 Samuel Potts Corner

May 9, 1761- Jonas Potts, blacksmith, and Mary, his wife, sell 122 acres in Loudoun County, Virginia, to James Thomas. He signs, " Jonas Potts, Smith."

August 20, 1761- Jonas Potts obtains a patent from the Proprietors office of the northern neck of Virginia, for a tract of land on or about Round Hill.


October 13, 1761- Jonas Potts sells 122 acres on the north fork of Kittockton, to Jonas Potts, farmer. In the description of boundaries, mention is made of " Samuel Potts' corner." He signs "Jonas Potts, Blacksmith."

(I believe that this Jonas Potts is my 6th great grand uncle, the youngest son of Jonas Potts, my 7th great grandfather. Samuel Potts would be his nephew, the son of his half-brother, David Potts. Jonas Potts was apparently a common name in the region. )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.