The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Friday, April 16, 2010

May 1716, Pennsylvania

May 9, 1716- Cornelius Theissen dies in Germantown, Pennsylvania.

"Guidebook to Historic Germantown", 1902

The Upper Burying Ground of Germantown, sometimes called Ax's burying ground, from John Frederick Ax, who had charge of it from 1724 to 1756, is on the east side of Main street, above the Concord school. Here are buried many of the early settlers of Germantown and their descendants. The oldest known grave is that of Cornelius Tyson, who died in 1716. Judge Pennypacker takes this to be the oldest existing tombstone to the memory of a Dutchman or German in Pennsylvania.

WILL OF CORNELIUS TYSON. Germantownship, Philadelphia County. Weaver.
April 6, 1716. July 27, 1716.

"In the name of God, Amen. I, Cornelius TYSON, of Germantown in ye County of Philadelphia, weaver, being sick and weak of body but of sound and disposing mind and memory, Thanks be to God therefore. Do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament. First of all I recommend my Soul unto ye Hands of God my Merciful Creator and Saviour, and my body to be buried at the discretion of my executors. And concerning my worldly estate wherewith ye Lord hath Blessed my endeavors in this province; Imprimis, to my wife Margaret all and singular the plantation, housing, dattle, and moveables, during her natural life. To my youngest son, Peter TYSON, ye value of twenty pounds.To all and everyone of my children, to wit: Matthias TYSON, Barbara, ye wife of John CUNRADS, Alitie, ye wife of John CUNRADS, Willieminse, ye wife of Lawrents HENRITK, and the above Peter TYSON, after my said wife's decease, all and singular, mine estate. Nothing excepted, share and share alike. Finally, in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this sixth day of April Anno Domini One Thousand and Sixteen."
 (Executrix: Wife Margaret; Witnesses: William STREPERS, Herman GROTHAUSEN and Fr. Daniel PASTORIUS).
 6 April 1716, buried aft. 9 May 1716 at Axe's Grave Yard, Concord School, Germantown, Philadelphia Co, Will probated 23 July 1716 at Philadelphia, Philadelphia Co, PA

(Cornelius Theissen is my eighth great granduncle. Our common ancestors are Mathias Dohrs & Agnes Neesgen Op den Graeff.)

May 22, 1716- Martha Foulke is born to Hugh Foulke & Ann Williams in Quakertown.

(Martha Foulke is my second cousin 7 times removed. Our common ancestors are Aret Klincken & Niske Agnes Jensen.)

May 30, 1716- Johann Samuel Pastorius and Hannah Lucken are married at the Abington Meeting House.

(Hannah Lucken is my first cousin 9 times removed. Cornelius Theissen is her uncle. Our common ancestors are Mathias Dohrs & Agnes Neesgen Op den Graeff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.