The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Sunday, August 9, 2009

1778 Maryland, Oath of Allegiance

Oath of Fidelity and Support - I do sware I do not hold myself bound to yield any Allegience or obedience to the King of Great Britain his heirs or successors and that I will be true and faithful to the State of Maryland and that I will to the utmost of my power, support maintain and maintain and defend the Freedom and Independence thereof and the Government as now established against all open enemies and secret and traterous conspiraces and will use my utmost endeavours to disclose and make known to the Governor or some one of the Judges or Justices thereof all Treasons or Treaterous consperaces, attempts or combinations against this State or the Government thereof which may come to my knowledge so help me God.

Taken before the Worshipfull
Edward Burgess

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.