The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Sunday, August 30, 2009

1772 St. Mary's

1772- Thomas Newton (II) dies in St. Mary's, Maryland.

(Thomas Newton is my 5th great grand uncle. Our common ancestors are my 6th great grandparents Thomas and Katherine Newton.)


Will of Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton, Signed: March 27, 1772; Proved: Sept 15, 1772

 
~~Item I give and bequeath to my son Arnold Newton, one shilling sterling & no more of my Real or personal Estate,

Item I give and bequeath to my son Henry Thomas Newton one shilling sterling and no more of my Real or personal Estate.

Item I give and bequeath to my son William Newton, all my Land called Andrews wood Also Newtons property to him and his heirs for ever.

~~Item I give and bequeath to my Daughter Sarah Newton, one negro girl named, Henrietta and one shilling sterling & no more of my Real or personal Estate.

Item I give and bequeath to my Daughter Susanna Poole, one negro Girl named, Monica, and one, Shilling sterling, and nomore of my Real or personal Estate. I

tem I give and bequeath to my son Ignatius Newton, one negro boy named George and one, Shilling Sterling & nomore of my Real or personal Estate

~~I give and bequeath to my beloved wife, Susanna Newton, during her natural life, three negros Viz~~ Priss, Hammer, & Balander, with their increase, & after my wifes decease my son William Newton to have an Equal part with my 3 youngest Children, among my three youngest Children, Equally, Viz~~Elizabeth Newton, Clement Newton and Mary Newton, my will and meaning is that my wife keep with her my three youngest Children till they are able to shift for themselves. I Constitute nominate and appoint & ordain my beloved wife Susanna Newton, and my son William Newton Joynt Executors of this my Last will and Testament, in Witness whereof I have hereunto, set my hand and affixed, my seal this 27th day of March Anno Domino 1772

Thomas Newton (((seal)))

Sign d, Seal d, & declared to be the Last will & Testament

Of Thomas Newton Senr in the presence of us

Michael Wellman

Eliza X Wellman

Jarrad Wellman

Those words underlined before the signing & sealing those presents Viz(My son William Newton to have an Equal part with my 3 youngest Children)



Saint Marys County to wit,

On the fifteenth day of September seventeen hundred & seventy two, came, Michael Wallmen, Elizabeth Wellman, & Jarred Wellman the three subscribing witnesses to the above Last will and Testament, of Thomas Newton deceased and severally made a Oath that they did see, thomas, Newton the Testator therein named sign and seal this will, and heard him publish and declare the same, to be his Last will & Testament, and that at the time of his sodoing, he was to the best of their and Each of their understanding of sound and disposing mind & memory & understanding, and that they respectively subscribed their names, as witnesses to the Said will, in the presence and at the request of the Said Testator, and in the presence of Each other.

Sworn before J A Thomas Dy comis er~~~~~~~~~~

***************************************************************************************************************

Transcribed by Judith A. Burger February 1, 2001 from a photocopy of the original court document Libra: T. I. A. Page: 639-640, obtained from Norma I. Dawson, Register of Wills, St. Mary's County, Maryland. The photocopy was good, the writing fair though distorted and very small.

1 comment:

  1. Arnold Newtons children: Hugh, Susan, Sarah and Grace. Thomas Newton was married to Susanna Howard. Susan married a Pitt, Sarah married John Lilly and Grace married a Simpson. Read Sister Donnelley's book on the Elders and a Century of Catholics by Webb.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.