The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Saturday, August 29, 2009

1773 Charles, Maryland

1773- John Henry Worland (III) marries Mary Brady in  Charles, Maryland.

January, 1773-
Looking through the will of Walter Dodson, I found it was witnessed by his friend, my 4th great grandfather (John) Basil Knott:

In the name of God amen I Walter Dodson of Charles County in Province of Maryland tho weak in body but of sound perfect mind & memory praise be to almighty God for it do make this my last Will and Testament in manner, and form.

Following that is to say

Imprimis -- I give and bequeath my Soul to almighty God who gave it and my body to the earth to be decently intered at the discretion of my Executors or Executrix here after mentioned.

Item -- I give and bequeath unto my brother John Dodson one Negro boy named Richard.

Item -- I give and bequeath unto my loving wife Henrieter Dodson part of a tract of Land called ______ whereon I now dwell & one hundred fifty acres more of less during her life and after her decease the above mentioned land to be sold and the money to be equally divided between my brothers and sisters. And further I give and bequeath unto my loving wife Henrieter Dodson the whole remainder part of my personable estate of what kind or quantity soever not in this Will mentioned.

Lastly I do hereby Nominate Constitute ______ appoint my loving wife Henrieter Dodson and by brother John Dodson Executors of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking disannulling and making void all former Will or Wills by me made and only ratifying & confirming this to be my last Will and Testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 23rd day of

January amio Domini 1773.


Walter Dodson


Signed and sealed and published & deliveredTo be the last Will and Testament Of Mr. Walter Dodson of Charles County in presents of us who have Here subscribed our names as witnesses at the request of the Testator

William Sympson Senr

James Sympson

Basil Knott



On the back of the foregoing Will was thus written Nzd. Charles County ____. I hereby relinquish my right to the Executorship of the Written Will given under my hand this 31 March 1773.
John Dodson

Walter Nanson



Charles County ___. On the 31st day of March 1773 Came William Sympson Senior James Sympson and Basil Knot subscribing Witnesses to the written Will who being Sworn on the holy Evangelists of Almighty God do depose and say that they saw Walter Dodson the Testator sign and Seale the same and heard him publish and declare it to be his last Will and Testament that at the time of his so doing he was to the best of their apprehension of sound and disposing mind and memory and that they severally subscribed their names as Witness to the said Will in the presence of the Testator and at his request which said probat was taken in the presence of Jacob Dodson Heir at Law who did not object to the taking the same

Sworn Before

Walter Nanson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.