The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Treaty- Ohio, 1818


On October 6, 1818, the Miami Indians agreed to relinquish much of their land in Indiana and Ohio. In exchange, the United States government agreed to provide the Miami with six reservations in Indiana. These reservations were relatively small, averaging less than ten square miles in size. The government also gave the Miami Indians a yearly annuity consisting of fifteen thousand dollars and 160 bushels of salt. In addition, the federal government agreed to construct one gristmill and one sawmill for the natives' use. This agreement became known as the Treaty with the Miami.
The Treaty with the Miami, along with several other treaties between Indian tribes and the United States government during the first decades of the nineteenth century, marked the slow but gradual removal of native people to land west of the Mississippi River.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.