The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Saturday, July 4, 2009

1817, Champaign County, Ohio

...the settlement grew, and the necessity for a schoolhouse was apparent; so, about the year 1817, the first house for that purpose was built in the township. It stood on the Zerkle farm, and in size was about 18x20 feet, constructed of round log, having the wooden and mud chimney of that day in either end. Two small windows, and an opening the width of a log, covered with greased paper, graced one side and furnished light. Split puncheon, supported by wooden legs or pins, without backs, were the seats, and the door of split puncheon, with wooden latch, opened and closed on wooden hinges. The first master was ... Jackson ... This house was also used as a meeting-house. The roads to school in those days were through woods and swamps, and the fear of Indians and of wild beast, we will warrant, made the children's hair almost stand erect. The schools were at this time, and for years later, maintained by subscription, it being the only mode of support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.