The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

August 1739, Maryland

August 21, 1739- The following document is signed by my sixth great grandmother, Sarah Hines Luckett, widow of John Robey. She is believed to have died shortly thereafter, at about age 71.
Her daughter Sarah Elizabeth, wife of Edward Darnall, dies the same year, at the age of 50.

Charles County Land Records, 1733-1743; Book O#2, Page 410.
Deed of Gift. Recorded Aug 21, 1739. I, SARAH ROBY of Charles Co., hereby make over to William Robey, son of Benjamin Robey of Charles Co., planter (after my death) 1 feather bed and furniture, viz, 1 silk rug, 1 blanket, and 1 pair of sheets, together with a bedstead and hide and cord. And also I hereby make over to Victoria Robey, daughter of the above mentioned Benjamin Robey, 1 4-gallon pot and pot hooks after my death. Signed Aug 18, 1739 - SARAH ROBY . Wit - Walter Hanson, Thomas Troughear, John Hanson Jr.

Sarah was born in 1668, daughter of Samuel Luckett & Elizabeth Hussey. At the age of 16, she married John Robey in Charles County, Maryland. John was 20 years her senior, and a farmer of tobacco. John had been born at Castle Donington, Leichestershire, England, and in 1681, had recieved a grant of land from the state assembly of Maryland. John died April 23, 1726. That year, the following document was filed by her family, releasing her financially. Signer John Wornell, is my fifth great grandfather, John Worland, husband of Sarah's daughter, Stacy. Spellings Wornell, Warnell, Warland and Worland all appear in documents of the time.

Charles County Land Records, 1722-1729; Book L#2, Page 313.
At the request of SARAH ROBY of Charles Co., widow, the following instrument of writing was recorded this Dec 15, 1726.
We discharge Sarah Roby of Charles Co., the relict of John Roby Sr, late of CC, now decd, from all legacies that may or shall be due from the sd Sarah Roby to us on the acct or estate of sd John Roby. Signed Aug 29, 1726 - John Roby, Edwd (X his mark) Darnell, Thos Roby, John (IW his mark) Wornell, Wm (X his mark) Roby, Richard (R his mark) Roby, Michael Hinds (M his mark) Roby, John Henly, Joseph (I his mark) Gardiner, George Gibbens, Ralph Roby, Danl (X his mark) Howard.



Two more documents show Sarah allocating her property in the 1730s.

Charles County Land Records, 1733-1743; Book O#2, Page 76.
Recorded Dec 11, 1734. I, Sarah Roby o Charles Co., widow, for the natural love I have for my son, Peter Roby of CC, planter, I have given him 1 feather bed and furniture, 1 wooden cupboard, 1 wooden table, 1 iron pot, and all other my personal estate which is now in my possession. Signed Nov 30, 1734 - SARAH ROBY . Wit - Henry Hawkins*, Saml Hawkins
===
Charles County Land Records, 1733-1743; Book O#2, Page 466.
At the request of SARAH ROBY of Charles Co., widow, the following deed was recorded this Aug 18, 1740.
CC. We, the undersigned subscribers, for the natural love we have for our mother, SARAH ROBY , widow, and for sundry other good causes, do give our part of the goods and chattels which fell to us by the death of our brother, Peter Roby, late of Charles Co., deceased, to sd SARAH ROBY , widow, after his debts are paid by the administrator. Signed Dec 22, 1738 - John Roby Sr, Richard Roby, Elizabeth Henley, Jno (IW his mark) Warnall, Ralph Roby, Thomas Roby, Saml (+ his mark) Roby, William Roby, Geo: Gibbens, Michael Hinds (M his mark) Roby.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.