The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

1714 Rhode Island

May 1, 1714- Jane Peabody, wife of John Sisson, dies at the age of 23 in Middleton, Rhode Island. She leaves two small children. John soon remarries, taking Rebecca Lawton as his second wife.
Jane is buried in the Peabody Lot, Middletown, Rhode Island. The Peabody burial ground is situated on part of the old Peabody farm in a lot planted with vegetables, near the southern wall, but not close to it. It is about 60x40 ft., unfenced. It is near the road, to the east and a little to the north of, and opposite, the old Congdon house, on Third Beach Road, Middletown, the farm owned in 1904 by Edward Peckham, son of John R. and Dorcas Bly (Peabody) Peckham, a direct descendant of the emigrant, John Peabody. There are many stones so old and wrecked that the inscriptions can not be deciphered. The oldest one at all legible, is this:

Here lyeth ye body of
Jane ye wife of John Sisson
who departed this life in
ye 23rd year of her age.

(Jane Peabody is my eighth great grandmother.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.