The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Thursday, February 4, 2010

1727 Maryland

Janurary 9, 1727- Solomon Stimson has died in Prince George's County, Maryland at age 42.

In Solomon Stimson's will dated 9 Jan 1726/7 [Prince Georges county Will Book 19, pages 67, 68] states: "…I give & bequeath unto my Son in Law Willm Elder one Cow & Calfe. I give & bequeath unto my Son in Law Thomas Elder one Cow & Calfe. …" On 20 April 1727 "came Eliza Stimson and made oath…" as to the appraisal of the Stimton estate which included among other items: "3 negrows, 1 man, 1 dito woman, 1 dito girl; 25 head of cattle, young & old; 53 head of hogs, young & old, two feather beds,…" [Prince Georges County Inventories Box 7, 25]
Stimton (Stimson), Solomon, planter, Prince George's County, 9th Jan., 1726-7; 26th Jan., 1726/7.

To son Solomon, £30.
To son Benjamin, 50 A. where he now lives and £30.
To son-in-laws William and Thomas Elder, personalty.
To wife Elizabeth, extx., son Jeremiah, daus. Sarah and Mary, personal estate equally.
To dau. Ann, £5.
to wife Elizabeth and hrs., rights in land adj. Charles Bevans; shd. any of child. die during minority, their
portion to be divided among all child. equally.

Test: Thos. Chartur (Chartor), Paul Talbart (Tabart), Elizabeth Morris.
===

Solomon Stinson 11.906 PG £198.17.9 Apr 5 1727 Apr 20 1727

(also Solomon Stimson)

Appraisers: John Boone, James Young.
Mentions: Solomon Stinson, Benjamin Stinton, Mary Williams, William Hardy.
Administratrix/Executrix: Elisabeth Stimson.

(Solomon Stimson is my sixth great grandfather. Solomon was the second husband of Elizabeth Finch, my sixth great grandmother. Her first husband was William Elder, and their sons William and Thomas are referred to as sons-in-law in the will. In modern parlance, we would refer to them as Solomon's stepsons. Charles Bevans [Beavan] was the husband of Elizabeth Finch's sister Mary.
William Hardy was the husband of Solomon's daughter, Ann Stimpson. William & Ann are my fifth great grandparents.)

June 9, 1727- Although living in Prince George's County, George Hardy patents 393 acres in Charles County, names it Friend's Hazard.

(George Hardy is my fifth great granduncle. William Hardy, my fifth great grandfather, is George's brother. Our common ancestors are William & Elizabeth Hardy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.