The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Friday, January 13, 2012

May 1740, Rhode Island

Official seal of Newport, Rhode Island
Image via Wikipedia
May 16, 1740- Dorcas Tew dies at the age of 30 in Newport, Rhode Island. The woman was mentally handicapped, and had been provided for at the death of her father, William, in 1718.

"Rcpt. by Caleb Arnold of Newport and Sarah Arnold Lately Named Sarah Tew, for legacy from Est. of her father William Tew of Tiv., as paid by Richard Tew, George Sisson & William Sanford, Execs, dtd. at Newport 7 March 1732/3. Also incl. 'all Satisfaction for the personal Estate of Abigail Tew widdow of the said Wllm Tew,' excepting for that portion reserved to support Dorcas Tew, dau. of said William Tew and an idiot [7:591]."

May 17, 1740- Elizabeth Cornell is born to William Cornell & Hannah Thurston in Portsmouth, Newport County, Rhode Island.

(Dorcas Tew is my first cousin 9 times removed. Our common ancestors are George Sisson & Sarah Lawton. Elizabeth Cornell is her third cousin once removed.
Elizabeth Cornell is my fourth cousin 8 times removed. Our common ancestors are George Lawton & Isbell Smith.)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.