The Worland Family in America and Beyond

I began my life in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, on an island filled with forests and wild rhododendrons. I was separated from my Worland family there at an early age. Recently, I was reunited with my family and learned of my heritage. And so, this journey to know my ancestors began. The Worlands, Gideons, Newtons, Conards... they were the colonists, the settlers, the pioneers. They fought in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Civil War. This is their story, and the story of a nation. -Deci Worland MacKinnon

Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Journey Begins



I was given a picture. My maternal grandparents- Alfred Leslie Worland and his wife, Rosella.

A cousin I have never met sent me some information. I was given a book, One Man's Family The History and Genealogy of the Worland Family in America 1662-1962.

I learned that Alfred Leslie Worland was born on March 20, 1877 in St. Cloud, Minnesota. The Federal Census lists him as living with his family in Excelsior, Hennepin County, Minnesota in 1880. He was two years old.
The 1900 Census places the family in Stearns, Minnesota.
On May 19, 1908, he married Rosella Johnston, who had been born on December 8, 1893 in Hibbing, Minnesota. At the time of her marriage, Rosella was just fourteen years of age.
The 1910 Census shows the family living in Hubbard, Minnesota.
Draft records show that Alfred registered for the World War I draft, 1917-1918, in Hubbard, Minnesota.
In 1925, they migrated west to Idaho, and later on to Medford, and Grant's Pass, Oregon. The Federal Census lists the family as residing in Lane, Oregon in 1930.
In the 1940s, they settled on Whidbey Island, in Washington's Puget Sound. They lived the rest of their lives there. Alfred died November 25, 1948 in Langley, Washington. Rosella passed away on September 18, 1979 in Seattle, Washington.

They had ten children.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deci, I'm really glad I came across your blog. My maternal grandmother was a Worland also - her dad was George Thomas Worland, a brother of your grandfather Alfred Worland. I look forward to your future posts! :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and questions. If you do not have a public profile on Blogger, please leave contact information if you would like a response.